Swakopmund & Back To Windhoek ... Somehow En-Route to Keetmanshoop




So, as to be expected in Africa not everything has gone to plan, which is fine of course, because my plans are quite flexible - I just have to be in Kimberly (South Africa) by next Sunday to catch a train from Kimberly to Cape Town (these train tickets sell out fast so I bought one a week in advance). I was supposed to be on a train tonight towards Keetmanshoop, however when I reached the train station I was surprised and disappointed to find out that the workers are on strike so no trains are running at the moment!




Basically I'm in Windhoek (the capital city) at the moment. Last Saturday morning I went to Swakopmund, a small town on the coast of Namibia to spend the weekend. It's over 300km from Windhoek, and was a nice (cool) change from the city. Being on the beach its a lot colder, so the days were very pleasant. I made some German friends and spent my Saturday exploring the town. There is not much to see however, except the beachfront and the colonial German architecture. There is a very large white population in the town, of which mostly speak German, and is a holiday spot for people from Windhoek. The houses are nice, there are lots of adventure activities, but apart from that there isn't much to see. A lot of the stores are written in German which is interesting, and when you are in the city center you don't really feel like you are in Africa anymore.







On Sunday I went skydiving however! I've known I wanted to go skydiving for a while, and was thinking of doing it while I was in Cape Town a few weeks ago, but the time never came. Instead, I decided that the first time I sky dive should be over the Namib desert. So I booked it, got picked up from my accomodation and headed off. Before I knew it I was in a plane and being strapped to my tandem instructor. The best thing about the whole experience was not the jump, but the view, and I wish I could have taken my camera up there with me. The sand dunes from above were beautiful and you could see where the sea touches the desert.

At 10,000 feet I was hanging out the side of the aircraft before my instructor pushed us off.
Freefalling was so surreal, but I did feel a surge of relief once the parachute was pulled. Flying above the sky was amazing, with such an indescribable view. While it was fun to be hanging in the air, I was waiting for the time to come when we would finally land. I'm happy I went skydiving and it was a very fun and exhilarating experience, but its not something I need to do again anytime soon. After landing safely back on earth I needed a few hours to feel 'normal' again. So I spent the afternoon wondering around the beach by myself. In comparison to other areas in Africa (if I am to generalise), Swokopmund feels very safe. There aren't any of the high fences and barbed wire that you see in the neighbourhoods of Joburg!


The plan for Monday was to head back to Windhoek and then catch the overnight train to Keetmanshoop. After getting a shuttle back to the capital city, and fretting if I was going to make it tot he station on time, I arrived to a very quiet train station. That's when I noticed the signs on the walls. I spoke to the police woman working there and she told me there probably wouldn't be any trains. Which meant there wouldn't be any trains running. Sad and disappointed I took a cab to my usual accomodation in Windhoek, only to find it full for the night. I was redirected to a cheaper place (N$40 cheaper .. or about $2.50aud) where I am staying the night and where the internet is ridiculously slow. However, the plan is to leave here early tomorrow morning and see about getting a bus down to Keetmanshoop, or even as far as Luderitz which is my intended destination ... lets see what happens!!

No comments