Johannesburg to Swaziland on the TransMagnific


While the flight from Joburg to Antananarivo was half empty, allowing me a whole row of seats to myself, the flight back to the African mainland was much more packed and basically full. The three-hour flight seemed to drag on and on, but finally we reached O. R. Tambo where I was picked up by my accommodation at Shoestring Airport Lodge. It’s close by to the airport, where I needed to be the following day to catch a bus to Swaziland (and where I had stayed previously and also left a bag in storage to get when uni starts again).




 There was no vegan meal for me on the last flight but there was on this one???


At the very last minute I had managed to book and pay for a one-way bus trip from O. R. Tambo to Swaziland, a 4-hour journey that would cost 600rand with TransMagnific. I would get picked up at the airport and then dropped off at my accommodation in Swaziland after crossing the border. Luckily the owner of Shoestring Airport Lodge knew exactly where the pick up point would be, at the drop off area outside Terminal B, and was able to take me there directly. I had assumed the bus would be very clearly labelled when it arrived, but the only tell tale sign was the number plate that read that read somewhere along the line of ‘transmagnific’. Luckily the driver spotted me though, and I hopped in with only 5 other passengers.

The trip was very pleasant, and while I find myself getting bored on 3 hour plane rides, I find bus journeys of the same length to be much more enjoyable. We even received a free meal and drink on the ride (which we could request and choose at the time of booking), so it was a very comfortable, and perhaps even luxurious bus ride (especially for Africa!). After about 3.5 hours we reached the border, where the driver took our passports and was able to get us through the queue at the South African side. Getting into Swaziland was very simple after this.



In less than 30 minutes we were in Mbabane dropping people off, and perhaps another 30 minutes less I was dropped off at Swazi Sundowners Backpackers. The reception was empty, but a man showed up immediately asked me to join him and the owners of the backpackers for dinner at the lodge next door. They were all very friendly, and it was perhaps the warmest arrival I’ve ever had upon arriving to a new country. They offered me some of their lasagne for dinner, but I had to explain that I was vegan, and they ordered me some pasta instead.

Over dinner I got some recommendations on what to do for the next few days and advice on getting to Mozambique. One of the owners is even taking me to Mbabane tomorrow to help me sort out a Mozambique visa which I haven’t yet gotten. I was originally intending on just getting the visa on arrival because I should be eligible as I’m Australian (Australia don’t have a Mozambique embassy so we can’t apply beforehand), but getting one sorted before hand will be easier, and apparently cheaper as well.


I’m currently the only person staying at the backpackers, of which houses 4 very excitable dogs. I’m looking forward to seeing what the next few days in Swaziland bring!






No comments