Luderitz to Keepmanshoop in the Back of a Bakkie



Originally I had planned on taking a minibus from Luderitz to Keepmanshoop for N$170 ($15aud), where I would stay the night and then the next day catch a bus over the border to South Africa. The owner of Luderitz Backpackers somehow organised me a ride with some other guests that were staying at the backpackers. They were engineers from Zimbabwe and had been working in Luderitz for the day and were headed back to Mariental that day, passing through Keepmanshoop. The owner was adamant that I would travel with them instead of take a minibus, as he knew them and believed I would have a much more enjoyable trip. So it was organised, I would go with them at 7am the next morning to Keepmanshoop.

The only hitch was that they were travelling in a bakkie (a ute) which only had two seats, so I would have to ride in the back for the 340km journey. It was covered however, so I didn’t have to worry about wind, and I was able to stretch my legs. Once I was sat on my travel pillow I had a pretty comfortable ride and a nice nap before we reached my destination. It was actually a lot more comfortable than a minibus would have been and we made good time, reaching Keepmanshoop at about 10:30am.

The drive from Luderitz was very picturesque. I had missed most of the scenery on the drive there as it had been dark, so I was able to watch the the white sand dunes go past. At times there were wild horses in the distance (there is a group of wild horses near Aus, a town between Luderitz and Keepmanshoop) and I was able to watch the grazing cows and goats. Time went by very quickly.

At Keepmanshoop I was headed to Rachel’s Backpackers, which is where I am now. It is supposedly the cheapest in the area at N$180 a night, but doesn’t have wifi. I have a room to myself though, and they are letting me using their washing machine and dryer for free which is great because its been nearly two weeks since I last did laundry and I’m running out of clean shirts … I spent the afternoon looking for wifi, and planning what to do next. Tomorrow the Intercape bus will leave Keepmanshoop at 11pm, so I have all day tomorrow to fill in and find something to do, of which there isn’t much, particularly as I don’t have a car. From Keepmanshoop I will get off the bus at Upington, in South Africa, and then catch another one to Kimberley where I will stay the night. The next day (Sunday) I shall board a train to Cape Town and should reach by Monday afternoon. I am very excited for some good food (ie. vegan restaurants) and to be in a proper city again. It is also where I shall be buying most of my Christmas presents so if anyone has any particular requests ….

Half a day has been even too much in Keepmanshoop, and I’m not sure how I will fill in tomorrow before I catch the bus. It’s hot here, and I’m looking forward to being back on the coast where it should hopefully be cooler. 



1 comment