Carl the Tortoise & Botanical Gardens


Last Saturday afternoon was spent picnicking at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens. This was actually my second visit to the gardens, on my first occasion I had decided to go hiking with some other girls. The realisation of how unfit I was put me off doing the hike a second time, so instead we sat in the sun, played cards, and ate lunch. The weather has been slowly warming up, and it was the first day I've been able to wear a dress outside since being here. If the weather stays like this for the rest of my trip, it will be perfect. 

The picnic was another trip that was organised by the Residence Office at Monash. This was for National Women's Day, a public holiday that was celebrated last Tuesday and gave us all the day off classes. For 80rand ($7.70AUD) the res office would provide transport and food to the botanical gardens. Unfortunately the only vegan food they provided was the fruit platter, which was quite empty by the time it reached us. Luckily I had been prepared and brought my own snacks (homemade hummus and crackers yaaas).

The afternoon was spent playing cards and visiting the waterfall that was nearby. The highlight of the day however, was the giant tortoise that decided to come and join our picnic. He was affectionately named 'Carl'. We had first seen him when we were looking for a place to lay out picnic blankets, and at first I had assumed it was one of the many random statues that are scattered around the gardens ... until he started moving! I don't think I have ever seen a tortoise that big before, at least not one that gets to roam free and isn't in a cage.






Soon after we had laid our blankets down, Carl had waddled (?) over.  He knew exactly the right way about getting a snack ... by walking straight into the middle of our picnic. We decided to give him a strawberry, of which he seemed to love, eating it rather aggressively and leaving strawberry stains on the blankets.




Carl needed a plate after it was obvious that he did not have any table manners. After swallowing the strawberry whole, he then decided to make a meal of the paper plate. We decided that it was for the best if we took this off him, though he wasn't please.
It was pretty obvious that Carl didn't want to leave, and it was only after removing all food from sight that he wondered away and sat down for a quick afternoon nap in the sun. 




Australia/Malaysia/Japan/Fiji/South Africa/Malawi/Norway all together for a picnic - who needs the Olympics to bring countries together when you have tortoises and food!!! (pic creds to Vivian tho thx)

Yes, my hand floats

It was a lovely afternoon in the sun, and a nice break from study. Despite it being only week four work is already beginning to pile up.  However, I am in South Africa so I will still be making as much time as possible for travel! Speaking of which, this week myself and some other exchange students are road-tripping up to Kruger National Park to go see some of South Africa's best wildlife. We are hiring a car to drive the 400km+ journey, and I am beyond excited to get out of Johannesburg and see what is outside the city! I'll be making sure to keep this blog updated!

P.s. if anyone is interested in seeing the full adventures of Carl the tortoise, please watch the video below, filmed by my friend Vivian. I promise it's worth a watch! #makecarlgoviral2k16

Kylie.



No comments